React Native or Flutter? A Brief Guide to Choose the Best Framework! — Part I
React Native or Flutter?
Which hybrid framework to pick for my upcoming app development project?
Which one will aptly fit my business requirements?
Well, if such questions arise in your mind, this blog-post is for you. Here, we will do a comparative analysis between React Native and Flutter based on certain important factors. It will provide clear visibility to entrepreneurs about the strengths and weaknesses of these leading frameworks. So without much delay, let’s quickly get into the details.
Comparative Analysis: React Native App Development Vs. Flutter App Development
Introduction in a Nutshell
· React Native was officially released in March 2015 and its latest version is 0.63.
· React Native is a framework employed for creating native-like applications.
· This free and open-source framework is developed by Facebook.
· React Native App Development has been leveraged by giants like Facebook, Skype, Tesla, Instagram, Pinterest, Bloomberg, Wix, SoundCloud, etc.
· Flutter was developed by Google in Dec 2018 and its latest version is Flutter 1.22.
· It is a portable UI toolkit employed for the creation of natively-compiled applications across mobile, desktop, and the web.
· This too is a free and open-source platform.
· Today, being as young as just 2 years, Flutter app development is preferred by Google for Google Ads app, by Alibaba for Xianyu app, by Hamilton Musical for Hamilton app, and also by eBay, BMW, Square, etc.
Platform Supported by Each
Android, iOS, Mac, Linux, Google Fuchsia, and Windows.
Android, Android TV, Windows, iOS, tvOS, and macOS.
Key Features to Consider
· Fast-refresh property
· Modular and intuitive architecture
· Support to NPM libraries
· Better Accessibility
· Support to CocoaPods
· UI-focused design
· Strong community to support
· Stable, tried, and tested
· High-level customization possible
· Has its own rendering engine
· Easy access to Native features and SDK- Software Development Kit
· Growing community to support
· Scalable and Flexible
· Good Widget library
· Huge support for automated testing
Flutter, by default, has native modules available and so, it doesn’t need a bridge for communicating between the native modules. The Skia graphics library is used during Flutter app development which enables the UI to be redrawn every time with every single change in the app view. Consequently, even at 60 FPS, Flutter performs much efficiently.
UI Components and Ability to Customize
React Native comes with just a few basic but outstanding components that are adaptive to a platform, like a slider, button, or a loading indicator. However, there are plenty of 3rd party components available in this framework; but using them requires extra effort and time of the React Native Developers.
Flutter comes with its own set of rich customizable widgets and they are rendered and managed by the graphics engine of Flutter Framework. It supports the Material Design and also saves time. This imparts a great look and feel to the apps.
Ability to Develop Complex Applications
As of now, Flutter isn’t suitable for handling complicated projects. But since it is a good choice for MVP development, startups can go with Flutter app development.
Programming Languages Used and Availability of Developers
Flutter makes use of Dart language which is a client-optimized language as per Google. Its recent version is 2.10.4. Dart is quite easy to learn and use, however, it isn’t that popular in the developer community as this language is newer in comparison to React Native. Hence, it is a challenging task to hire Flutter app developers who are highly skilled.
Use Cases of Both Platforms
· Applications with simplified UI
· Simple cross-platform applications
· Applications with reusable components
· Applications that work with synchronous APIs
· Quick prototype apps
· Applications that have close to native appearance and performance with responsive UX using FlexBox
· MVP apps
· Applications that function with OS-level features
· High-performant applications with Skia rendering engine
· Applications with material design
· Applications having vast data integration
· Flexible UI with high-level widgets
Much faster when compared to native app development. However, since it utilizes native elements and bridge, which may make the React Native mobile app development process a bit longer.
Similar to React Native, Flutter too, is faster when compared to native app development.
When it is Not the Right Fit?
· When your app needs custom communication via Bluetooth as that can be tricky to implement using the React Native framework.
· When your application needs to handle some uncommon or particular tasks like calculations in the background.
· When your application needs multiple interactions with an OS or needs to use less popular native libraries.
· When you want an app that supports 3D Touch. Flutter does not support 3D.
· When you require a minimalistic UI, but significantly depends on the usage of the phone hardware.
So far, we have discussed several parameters and compared React Native and Flutter based on those parameters. In our upcoming blog, we will discuss a few more important parameters to compare these frameworks.
Both of these frameworks are quite popular, and so, we cannot conclude that one of them is better than the other. It solely depends on the end goals of your project. But depending on these parameters, you can definitely decide whether to partner with a React Native App Development Company or a Flutter App Development Company for your project.
To know more about our other core technologies, refer to links below